Time & Location
Mondays March 15th to April 12th 17:00 – 20:00 (No class on March 29th)
Pursimiehenkatu 26 H
About the Event
During this workshop you will be introduced to one of the leading actors’ Voice training methods – Linklater Voice. LV-work consists of a well-developed progression of exercises designed for professional actors, student actors and everyone interested in vocal expression. The progression is laid out in Kristin Linklater’s book Freeing the Natural Voice: Imagery and Art of Voice and Language.
The primary goal of LV-work is freeing one’s voice in order to discover its expressive potential to connect viscerally with language and embody a text. During this class there will be an exploration of freeing your breath, developing resonance, loosening jaw and tongue tensions and waking up your vocal range.
The workshop consists of four Monday evenings (12h). During each Monday a different section of the Voice progression will be introduced. Each meeting will build off the others and eventually form a complete routine which goes through all of the essential parts of warming up your voice and developing your ability to connect viscerally with language. A piece of dramatic text will be explored through the exercises.
TO WHOM IT IS
For actors (advanced and beginners), performers, directors, artists, coaches and anyone wanting to understand how movement, voice and language can be used for authentic performance (on-stage or off).
WHAT DO YOU GET
You will be led through a progression of Linklater exercises which will explore:
- physical awareness (locating tension and releasing it)
- the awareness of natural breathing
- the experience of sound vibrations in the body
- the release of tension in the throat, jaw, tongue and soft palate
- the development of resonating power in the chest, the mouth and the face
- the accompanying development of breathing power
- the exploration of range through two to three octaves of speaking notes and, finally, to articulation.
- The class will also give you a taste of how to speak your text clearly and expressively.
“The emphasis of the work is to remove the psychological and physical blocks that inhibit the human vocal instrument. It promotes a voice that “is in direct contact with emotional impulse, shaped by the intellect but not restricted by it.”
– Kristin Linklater
• Price: 185 € incl. VAT 24%
• Workshop will happen live at the studio: Pursimiehenkatu 26H, 00150 Helsinki
• Class times: Monday evenings 17:00 – 20:00/ March 15th, March 22nd, April 5th & April 12th (no class on 29th March)
• Places are limited and will be filled on a ‘first-come-first-serve’ basis.
• The booking for all events and workshops is binding. You can cancel 30 days prior to the event and receive a 50% return of your payment or you can pass on your spot to another person without an extra fee.
• Teaching language is English (Please keep in mind that you do not need to have perfect English skills, and you do not need to worry about accent and pronunciation).
• All rights to changes reserved.
• You can also find the event on the Website and Facebook.
WHAT TO BRING & HOW TO PREPARE
Wear soft clothing that is easy to move in.
ABOUT TUULI NILSSON
Tuuli is a voice and speech trainer with broad knowledge of various actors’ voice training methods. She has been a designated Linklater Voice teacher since 2007, and Linklater work has been the basis of her voice training ever since. She is also an Associate Teacher of Fitzmaurice Voicework (2014) and a certified Alexander Technique teacher, having graduated from The American Center for the Alexander Technique in New York (2015). She holds a Masters degree in Speech Communication and is currently pursuing doctoral studies in Vocology (Tampere University), focusing on the effectiveness of actor-centered voice training methods. She trains acting students and actors both in Finland and internationally.